Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On September 13, 2010 there was an article in the Chicago Tribune, Healthy lunch is in the bag; Parents, children and manufacturers rethink their choices for school meals. The article focuses on large manufacturers such as Kraft, General Mills, Campbell’s Soup Co., and ConAgra Foods switching to healthier lunch options for kids. Their products now have reduced calories, reduced sodium, more fruit and vegetables, and clearer packaging. Due to their changes Kraft has seen a 10% increase in their Lunchable sales.

This brings back my memories of grade school, when I ate Lunchables almost every lunch period. However, one day I opened up my favorite box of bologna, cheese and crackers, bit in and experienced the nastiest taste in my life. I do not know why this happened, my taste buds might have changed or it could have been the case of bad packaging. Either way, I never touched Lunchables ever again. Kraft ‘s reasoning for their large increase in sales is that kids want healthier foods. To me this seems like a bunch of phony bologna. My early childhood memories are of people telling us young students about the perils of candy. Yet, candy taste good and we kept eating it. It was even given to us as a reward and for holidays.

When I was in elementary school our major topic of health was smoking. Students were always trying to stop their parents from smoking. They would come into class, and tell stories of their confrontations with their parents, such as, hiding cigarette packs, and having sit downs. The ironic thing is, many years later, some of my past classmates have indulged in smoking. It seems to me that humans like to do things deleterious to their health. Some think it comes with the right to the pursuit of happiness. I believe Kraft’s sales are most likely do to better advertisement, than more health conscious children. More health conscious children would go to the grocery store and beg for fruits and vegetables. Instead they are just buying the new Lunchables options available to them. To close, I side with the nutritionist who believes healthier school meals are a step in the right direct, but they do not equal the benefits of eating fresh healthy non-packaged foods.


Reference:

Emily Bryson York. Healthy lunch is in the bag; Parents, children and manufacturers rethink their choices for school meals. Chicago Tribune. Chicago, Ill.: Sep 13, 2010. pg. 4 http://proquest.umi.com.libproxy.rpi.edu/pqdweb?did=2136299911&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=8470&RQT=309&VName=PQD

No comments:

Post a Comment