Friday, December 10, 2010

Slavoj Zizek - Cultural Consumerism

I've been meaning to post this for weeks. Slavoj Zizek is a sociologist specializing in Marxist theory. The majority of the video is not about food, but in the first five minutes or so, Zizek describes the cultural phenomenon that he's come to call "Cultural Consumerism," which is this idea that our guilt surrounding our crazy consumerist ways drives us to act responsibly, and that interestingly, our way of acting responsibly to combat our over-consumption is by consuming responsible products. That's a terrible summary, so here's the link:


He talks about big corporations like Starbucks encouraging you to act responsibly by buying their product. The rest of the video is not as food-related, but still brings up some issues of culture and society that we've covered in class, particularly equity amongst classes.


8 comments:

  1. Very interesting, I`ll watch the video with much interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing the video. something that explains how humans act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is mind blowing I read it and enjoyed. I always find this type of article to learn and gather knowledge.

    Ogniwa fotowoltaiczne

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article is mind blowing. When I read this article, I enjoyed.

    book publicity

    ReplyDelete
  5. This specific submit can be mind-blowing. While we undergo this informative article, My spouse and i liked.

    Managed IT Services

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article is mind blowing. When I read this article, I enjoyed.

    Managed IT Services

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article is so mind blowing. When I read this article, I enjoyed.

    Managed IT Services

    ReplyDelete